August 17, 2014

Sunday, August 17: Back to Basics, Part 1

MASS READINGS TODAY
•  All the readings together
•  Isaiah 56:1, 6-7
•  Psalm 67
•  Romans 11:13-15, 29-32
•  Matthew 15:21-28

FR. MARK'S HOMILY 20TH SUNDAY OF ORDINARY TIME


Video above not working?
•   Click here to listen on YouTube

ME
  • Quick welcome to visitors and guests
  • I just got back from vacation …
  • 10 of us total … 2 sisters … 5 nieces and nephews.
  • Why I go on dates: if I’m not intentional about spending quality time with them, then life will pass me by and I won’t really know them and they won’t really know me
  • As I was driving home, I realized that the same is true in our relationship with God: if I’m not intentional about spending quality time with God, then life will pass by and I won’t really know God … my relationship will simply be a series of quick, surficial conversations … kinda like with family during the holidays.
  • I want more … I don’t want that with God
WE
  • I think we all share this in common
  • I think we all know how busy life can be
  • I think we all know what it’s like to have life  pass us by with our relationship with God somewhat like simply be a series of quick, surficial conversations … kinda like with family during the holidays.
  • I want more … I think a lot of us want more
WHY SHOULD YOU KEEP LISTENING?
  • I think a lot of us are searching in life.
  • As I listen to you I hear many of you share your desire to hear God speak to you. I think a lot of people are searching for in life.
  • Some are searching for peace … or meaning … or direction … some of us know that that’s God … others are just  hungry.
  • But, what if there was more > if it were easier?
GOD
  • No one wants this more than God.
  • God wants to be intentional about spending time with us. He has stamped his desire in the very story of creation … the very story of the Bible … the very rhythm of life >> Sabbath.
  • Build up Genesis 1 >>> Genesis 2:3: “God blessed the seventh day and made it holy” >>>  in the other days what God made is holy, but on the 7th day the day itself is holy
  • 10 commandments = the first three are about God Himself (no other gods + no idols + don’t take His name in vain >>> the last six are about how to live >>> so the fourth serves as a bridge
  • Exodus 3:18: “Then you and the elders of Israel will go to the king of Egypt and say to him: The Lord, the God of the Hebrews, has come to meet us. So now, let us go a three days’ journey in the wilderness to offer sacrifice to the Lord, our God.”
  • Exodus 14 >>> Exodus 19 = the great theophany
  • At the very beginning of the story of God’s own people God spends 22 chapters teaching His people how to live and how to worship
  • Today’s first reading from Isaiah 56:6 “all who keep the sabbath free from profanation”
INTRODUCE SERIES
  • Today we’ll start a journey together, a journey called “Back to Basics”
  • It’s what people do at this time of year
  • Saints: pre-season football
  • Teachers: starting a new school year
  • There are seven basic things necessary for a healthy spiritual life
  • Seven easy things you can do and this year can be the best year of your spiritual life
CORE MESSAGE
  • The first thing we can do to help our spiritual life is to prepare for Sunday Mass
YOU (What is the one thing you can do this week?)
  • We have to choose to choose
  • God has already chosen to spend quality time with you at Mass … we have to choose to spend quality time with Him
  • Because of my father’s love for us as a family, I really long for us all to prepare for Sunday’s Mass
  • The danger of becoming too familiar
  • How to prepare?
  1. Read the readings ahead of time
  2. Be intentional about knowing what you want/need from God as we place gifts on the Altar
  3. Don't leave Mass unless you know one thing you can do during the week
US
  • What if we all did that?
  • What if we all felt really plugged in at Mass?
  • What kind of marriage would you have if both of you heard God, listened to God more?
  • What kind of family …
  • What if this year were the best year of your spiritual life?
  • Let’s pray right now …
Recorded Sunday, August 17, 2014 at Christ the Redeemer Catholic Church in Thibodaux, Louisiana. © Fr. Mark Toups, 2014