June 1, 2014

Sunday, June 1: Silence & Within

MASS READINGS  ASCENSION OF THE LORD

•  All the readings together
•  Acts 1:1-11
•  Psalm 47:2-3, 6-7, 8-9
•  Ephesians 1:17-23
•  Matthew 28:16-20

IF YOU WERE HERE THIS SUMMER  FR. MARK'S HOMILY


Video above not working?
•   Click here to listen on YouTube
© Fr. Mark Toups, 2014

Click here to see the entire series, the entire summer!

SUMMER 2014  DAY 7 AT IPF

Who is at IPF today:
•   169 seminarians for the 10-week Summer Program of Spiritual Formation
•   56 priest spiritual directors serving as spiritual directors during the seminarians' 8-day silent retreat

Today is the second full day of the seminarian's eight-day silent retreat. Tonight's conference will offer encouragements in regards to the importance of trusting in God's generosity, especially if the seminarians are struggling a bit with the silence.

"[Today many] seem to want to fill every empty moment with music and images, out of fear of feeling this very emptiness. This is a trend that has always existed, especially among the young and in the more developed urban contexts but today it has reached a level such as to give rise to talk about anthropological mutation. Some people are no longer able to remain for long periods in silence and solitude."
— Pope Benedict XVI, October 9, 2011

"Late have I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved you!  You were within me, but I was outside, and it was there that I searched for you.  In my unloveliness I plunged into the lovely things which you created.  You were with me, but I was not with you.  Created things kept me from you; yet if they had not been in you they would not have been at all.  You called, you shouted, and you broke through my deafness.  You flashed, you shone, and you dispelled my blindness.  You breathed your fragrance on me; I drew in breath and now I pant for you.  I have tasted you, now I hunger and thirst for more.  You touched me, and I burned for your peace."
— Saint Augustine, Confessions

Click here for learn more about the Institute for Priestly Formation

IF YOU WERE THIS SUMMER  TODAY YOU WOULD PRAY WITH ...

Psalm 131, Jeremiah 29:11-14 ... ask God to help you settle yourself and grow more comfortable with silence.

7 QUESTIONS ABOUT PRAYER  QUESTION 3