September 23, 2013

Bishop Jacobs Welcomes Bishop Fabre


MOST REV. SAM G. JACOBS

Statement on his retirement as the fourth Bishop of Houma-Thibodaux

September 23, 2013

I am grateful to Our Holy Father, Pope Francis, for appointing Bishop Sheldon Fabre as the fourth Bishop of the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux. I have personally known him since his ordination as an auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of New Orleans. I believe that he is the right person at this time of the life of this great diocese.

I am grateful to God for my ten years as Shepherd of this diocese. I have been blessed in many ways by the ministry and cooperation of the priests, deacons, religious and laity.

At this point in my life time I know it is time for me to pass the torch of administration and embrace more fully the priestly ministry I was ordained for. My plans are to live in Houma and continue to serve the Church until the Lord calls me to him.