September 15, 2013

Homily: Sunday, September 15, 2013

24TH SUNDAY OF ORDINARY TIME
WHO IS JESUS: WEEK 2
"JESUS LOOKS AT YOU THROUGH THE EYES OF MERCY"




INTRODUCTION

My experience of Oremus this past Wednesday was a profound gift. One of my favorite things to do as a father of our family is to watch you pray, to watch you generously open your heart to God. To summarize the first week of Oremus, we defined prayer: Prayer is responding to and relating to God from our hearts.

(Click here to listen to the first talk of Oremus from Wednesday, September 11. Click here to listen to part one of the "Who is Jesus?" homily series.)

Our definition comes from the Catechism of the Catholic Church no. 2567: "God calls man first. Man may forget his Creator or hide far from his face; he may run after idols or accuse God of having abandoned him; yet the living and true God tirelessly calls each person to that mysterious encounter known as prayer. In prayer, God’s initiative of love always comes first; our own first step is always a response."

TRANSITION INTO THE SERIES

Jesus' initiative is partly why I felt called to start this series. Why? I think so many of us theologically understand Jesus based off our personal experience of Jesus. Thus, if many of us experience Jesus to be distant then we presume that this is who Jesus is: distant. In reality, Jesus is not distant, He is never distant. Instead, the Church teaches us that Jesus is always taking the initiative. That was the theme of week one.

TRANSITION INTO TODAY'S GOSPEL

Likewise I think a lot of us presume that Jesus looks at us the same way we look at us. For example, when we "feel" ashamed, we presume Jesus looks at us through the lens of shame. Or, when we "feel" unworthy, we presume Jesus sees us as unworthy. Or, when we "feel" good because we have impressed ourselves with success, we presume Jesus is impressed and "now" He loves us. 

Thank God for today's Gospel. We are so very familiar with today's legendary parable of the Prodigal Son. However, I'd like to begin by centering our thoughts today on the following line: "While he was still a long way off, his father caught sight of him, and was filled with compassion. He ran to his son, embraced him and kissed him." (Luke 15:20) It was father who saw the son first, not vice versa. And, when the father saw his son he "was filled with compassion."

CORE MESSAGE

Jesus doesn't see you the way you see you, Jesus sees you through the eyes of compassion.

WHAT DOES THE TRADITION SAY ABOUT THE CORE MESSAGE?

"Love of neighbour is thus shown to be possible in the way proclaimed by the Bible, by Jesus. It consists in the very fact that, in God and with God, I love even the person whom I do not like or even know. This can only take place on the basis of an intimate encounter with God, an encounter which has become a communion of will, even affecting my feelings. Then I learn to look on this other person not simply with my eyes and my feelings, but from the perspective of Jesus Christ. .... Seeing with the eyes of Christ, I can give to others much more than their outward necessities; I can give them the look of love which they crave." (Deus Caritas Est, no. 18)

UNPACKING THE CORE MESSAGE

How did the son "see" himself? 
  • "Coming to his senses he thought, 'How many of my father’s hired workers have more than enough food to eat, but here am I, dying from hunger. I shall get up and go to my father and I shall say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I no longer deserve to be called your son; treat me as you would treat one of your hired workers.'" (Luke 15:17-19)
How did the father "see" his son?
  • "After a few days, the younger son collected all his belongings and set off to a distant country" (Luke 15:13)
  • "everything I have is yours" (Luke 15:31)
  • "this son of mine was dead, and has come to life again; he was lost, and has been found" (Luke 15:24)

CONNECTING THE CORE MESSAGE TO OUR LIVES  

  • When you see yourself and your sin ... what do you see? how do you see it?
  • When you see others and their sin against you ... what do you see? how do you see it?
  • When you see Jesus  ... what do you see? how do you see Him?

CONCLUSION

Let us pray. I'd like to lead you through a guided mediation ...

DON'T FORGET: OREMUS THIS WEDNESDAY


Recorded Sunday, September 15, 2013 at Christ the Redeemer Catholic Church in Thibodaux, Louisiana. © Fr. Mark Toups, 2013