September 1, 2013

Homily: Sunday, September 1, 2013

22ND SUNDAY OF ORDINARY TIME
"HUMILITY: WITHOUT GOD I CAN DO NOTHING"


All the readings together

INTRODUCTION

Today's readings speak to us about humility. However, the humility God speaks of is not necessarily the humility we often think of.

WHAT HUMILITY IS NOT

1. Humility is not "being humbled."
2. Humility is not being meek for the sake of being meek. Humility is not "playing it small" or backing away from challenge.
3. Humility is not deflecting compliments or denying our gifts.


CORE MESSAGE: THE HOMILY IN ONE SENTENCE

Humility is acknowledging that I need God for everything. Without God I can do nothing.


WHAT DO THE SCRIPTURES SAY ABOUT HUMILITY?

"My child, conduct your affairs with humility, and you will be loved more than a giver of gifts. Humble yourself the more, the greater you are, and you will find favor with God." (Sirach 3:17-18, First Reading)

"Remain in me, as I remain in you. Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me. ... Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing. ... If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you." (John 15:4, 5, 7)

GOING BACK TO THE CORE MESSAGE

Humility is acknowledging that I need God for everything. Without God I can do nothing. Hmmmmm ... do you really believe that?

LIFE APART FROM GOD: THE CYCLE


> Independence, self-sufficiency, and self-reliance
> Chasing a dream, my ultimate satisfaction is from success, finances, or pleasure
> Busy … tired … tired of being tired
> Pursuit of recreation versus re-creation
> Long for diversions, holidays, vacations, events
> Emptiness
> Mid-life and grasping
> Resignation ... this as good as it gets
> Busy … tired … and searching

DESIRE


What do you want? What are you searching for? Why are you so busy? Why are you so tired? Are you happy ... really happy ... really?

GOING BACK TO THE CORE MESSAGE

There is more ... for you. Humility is acknowledging that I need God for everything. Without God I can do nothing. Do you desire more of Him ... for you ... now?

Recorded Sunday, September 1, 2013 at Christ the Redeemer Catholic Church in Thibodaux, Louisiana. © Fr. Mark Toups, 2013